Friday, February 09, 2007
- The big news today is that PJ's taking a break from Groklaw. Get well soon, PJ! If it's blogging burnout, I totally understand how that can happen. It's a sad fact about the universe that blogging burnout is more common, and happens more quickly, than "crooked CEO burnout". Although I still haven't given up hope of seeing that someday.
- Our friends at Baystar are hiring. They need a receptionist and a "principal". (search for "lrg" on the second link to find the right listing).
- Meanwhile, if you're "fortunate" enough to get hired at BS&F, the starting salary's been bumped up to $160k. Bastards.
- A while back I mentioned a BS&F guy who'd been nominated for the NY Supreme Court. Now it turns out that Elliot Spitzer, the new governor, has passed him over for the big promotion. Ah, well, working for such noble luminaries as Darl and Ralphie must be nearly as good as a Supreme Court gig, right?
- And while we're on the topic of rejections, rumor has it that Boies was rebuffed in his attempt to buy a tony Manhattan apartment overlooking the Central Park Zoo. Nelson: Ha, ha!
- The latest chapter in the Novell-MS deal: A tie-up on virtualization. I'm still maintaining my wait-and-see attitude about the deal, but I have to admit it's worrying. Here's one positive take on the latest news.
- A story on /. suggests that M$ is already getting paid (quietly) for patents in Linux. Yikes!
- Bruce Schneier on Vista, in particular Vista's DRM. Unsurprisingly, he's not a fan.
- Forbes(!) on the upcoming Windows Mobile 6. And you can be sure the pain isn't over yet; MS is only up to #6 so far, which is still one shy of the Nightmare on Elm Street series, or two if you count Freddy vs. Jason.
- Berlind on Steve Jobs, DRM, video, settop boxes, etc.
- The latest fun with quantum computing. Sure they're excited now, but wait until SCO sues them. You know, methods and concepts, etc.
- A telnet vulnerability in Solaris, which SANS describes as "Another good reason to stop using telnet". Which it is. For anyone who hasn't gotten the memo yet, plaintext passwords are Considered Harmful.
- Finally, I've been getting a bunch of blogspam here since last Friday, and deleting it is a real PITA. So here's the WHOIS data for the sites the spammer(s) have been promoting. Trying to name-and-shame spammers is probably a losing proposition, but hey, it can't hurt. These are the domains the spammers were advertising, so I'd imagine there's some connection between them and the spammers.
Witheld, Witheld fy1 2hg
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: FREEPREMIERSHIP.COM
Created on: 29-Aug-04
Expires on: 29-Aug-08
Last Updated on: 10-Aug-06
Rowcliffe, Lord email@example.com
Lancashire FY3 8PY
[redacted] Fax --
Premiership, Free firstname.lastname@example.org
UKK FY1 8BH
[redacted] Fax --
Domain servers in listed order:
Current Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
IP Address: 188.8.131.52 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-ARIZONA-SCOTTSDALE
Server Type: IIS 6
Lock Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Web Site Title:
.:FREE PREMIERSHIP - HOME OF FREE SOCCER STREAMS & LOTS MORE:.
LIVE ENGLISH FOOTBALL, STREAMING LIVE SOCCER MANCHESTER UNITED LIVE ARSENAL NEWCASTLE CHELSEA ASTON VILLA BIRMINGHAM BLACKBURN
SOCCERSTREAMS,LIVE STREAMING SOCCER, LIVE STREAMING PREMIERSHIP GAMES, SOCCER STREAMS,LIVE SOCER STREAMS, LIVE PREMIERSHIP GAMES, LIVE PREMIERSHIP LINKS, MANCHESTER UNITED LIVE INTERNET, ARSENAL WEB TV LIVE, LIVERPOOL INTERNET LIVE WEB TV, FREEPREMIERSHIP
Data as of:
Domain name: bargainplace.co.uk
Registrant: Lord Rowcliffe
Registrant type: UK Individual
Registrant's address: The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.
Registrant's agent: Telivo Ltd [Tag = TELIVO]
Registered on: 01-Apr-2000
Renewal date: 01-Apr-2008
Last updated: 14-Jan-2007
Registration status: Registered until renewal date.
IP Address: 184.108.40.206 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-TEXAS-FT. WORTH
Data as of: 14-Jun-2005
Created On:26-Dec-2006 13:03:05 UTC
Last Updated On:11-Jan-2007 15:50:32 UTC
Expiration Date:26-Dec-2007 13:03:05 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:EstDomains, Inc. (R295-LRMS)
Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Registrant Name:Tsygankov Andrey Olegovich
Registrant Street1:Krasnyh Maevshikov str., 14, k.9
Registrant State/Province:Mykolaiv Oblast
Registrant Postal Code:54029
Admin Name:Tsygankov Andrey Olegovich
Admin Street1:Krasnyh Maevshikov str., 14, k.9
Admin State/Province:Mykolaiv Oblast
Admin Postal Code:54029
Billing Name:Tsygankov Andrey Olegovich
Billing Street1:Krasnyh Maevshikov str., 14, k.9
Billing State/Province:Mykolaiv Oblast
Billing Postal Code:54029
Tech Name:Tsygankov Andrey Olegovich
Tech Street1:Krasnyh Maevshikov str., 14, k.9
Tech State/Province:Mykolaiv Oblast
Tech Postal Code:54029
220.127.116.11 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
Data as of:
Links to this post:
Be careful about publicly naming people. It happened to a mate of mine and he was sued under the freedom of information act in the uk.Post a Comment
Links to this post: