Saturday, August 11, 2007
More media reaction to yesterday's big ruling in SCO v. Novell:
- Local reaction to the story at the Salt Lake Tribune and Provo Daily Herald.
- More tech media coverage at Wired, HTMLfixIT, Geekzone NZ and DesktopLinux.com
- And some business press coverage as well, from UPI and MarketWatch. It's worth paying extra attention to see how the story plays in the financial press, since that's where potential future bagholders get their news. So far it's being portrayed as a clearcut victory for the Linux camp, and a total defeat for SCO. No nuances, no letting a pro-SCO fudster like Enderle get the last word in. So that seems like a positive sign.
- Over on Y!, saltydogmn gets a couple of grumpy emails from none other than Andrea McBride, Darl's wife.
- The FUD brigade is out in full force already, either ranting about the ruling or trying to minimize the impact of it. MOG is outraged, as you might expect, and is even less coherent than usual. I normally don't encourage people to patronize stories by MOG, but it's a holiday, so y'all are off the hook just this once.
- A piece at 24/7 Wall St. titled "The Future of Linux is Still Dark", by one Douglas A. McIntyre. Dark, he claims, because of the continuing M$ patent FUD. There's always something, isn't there? When that gets resolved, next we'll hear that the future of Linux is dark because the sun will eventually go red giant and swallow the earth or something.